Ernest Roy Richardson

Bermuda Day Grand Marshal 2015 – An Atlantic Garden

Ernest Roy Richardson, commonly known as “Leroy Tubby Richardson” a well renowned cricketer, was born June 30, 1921.  He is the son of the late Robert James Richardson and Alberta Olive Ellen Richardson.  He was married to the late Olive Eleanor Millicent Steede and father to Leroy, Calvin, Randy, Lynette and Tracey Richardson.

In 1938 he became a member of the St. George’s Colts Sports Club; both cricket and football teams – the Bolton Wanderers.  Also in 1939, he became a member of the very first Colts Cup Match team that played against the Somerset Colts in which St. George’s Colts were victorious.  From this he became a life-time member of the St. George’s Cricket Club with the “B” team and periodically with the “A” team.  He was chosen to represent the “A” team against a strong Trinidadian team captained by Ben Sealy.  Prior Jones was a very fast West Indies Test Team bowler and he scored 30 runs out of the teams 225, unfortunately they lost by 25 runs.

In the 1941, Annual Cup Match he captured his very first wicket from Bermuda cricketer Alma Champ Hunt.  Before he was called to bowl the score was 129 for 7 and last man was 104.  By the end of the first day of the match Somerset won by 31 runs.

To his credit, he played in a total of 11 Cup Matches, capturing 14 wickets and taking 10 catches.  In 1945, he scored 35 runs in two (2) hours and 25 minutes which was a match saving performance.  His best year as captain was in 1951, bowling 22 overs, 6 maidens and 9 wickets for 56 runs.

During his 50 year cricket career, he played against a large number of both local and foreign teams with 93 runs being his highest single innings score.

On May 4, 1942 he was recruited to serve in the Bermuda Militia Artillery which was stationed at the St. David’s Battery.  While in the Bermuda Militia Artillery, he became a regular member of the Battery cricket and football teams.  He had the good fortune to be selected as a member of the Governor’s Cup competition for both the football and cricket teams which were strictly military and naval.

In 1943, he then became a life-time member of the Royal Artillery Association, Bermuda Branch.  He was later elected president from 1962 to 1969.  He was then re-elected in 1974 and served a total of 15 years.

He later joined the Bermuda Prison Services on August 1, 1950 and remained there for 21 years and was later promoted to Chief Officer.  In 1970 he received the award for Long Service, Good Conduct and Efficiency by His Excellency, The Governor Lord Martonmere.