National Heroes Day
Overview: What is a National Hero?
A hero is a person who is admired and acknowledged for their courage, outstanding achievements, and noble qualities; and who has had a transformative effect on Bermuda. A National Hero is someone who has made significant positive contributions to the growth and development of society, and represents all of us. To know our heroes is to know ourselves: our values, our collective history, who we are, and what makes us as Bermudians great. Acknowledging our heroes is an acknowledgement of who we are – of our history, heritage, and culture.
National Heroes Day is celebrated each year on the third Monday in June. The purpose is to honour those persons who have been officially designated as National Heroes in Bermuda. The National Hero designation is a lifetime honour that is bestowed, and once a person is named as a National Hero he or she will be a National Hero forever.
Criteria for the selection of Bermuda’s National Heroes:
The individual or group to be designated as a National Hero should meet most of the following criteria:
- has made a significant and lasting contribution to Bermuda
- has enriched the lives of others
- has a legacy that will stand the test of time and have continued relevance in the future
- has contributed to the quality of life and destiny of Bermuda
- be considered as outstanding in their area of activity
- has ready name recognition among the general population
- is recognized by his/her profession or organization
- is reflective of Bermuda’s cultural heritage and diversity
Attributes of Individuals/Groups Selected:
It is important that the individual or group designated as a national hero is of outstanding character and may possess some or all of the following characteristics:
- demonstrates consistency and passion
- agent of change for betterment
- demonstrates ethical behaviour
- demonstrates love of Bermuda and her people
- demonstrates leadership qualities
Additional Guidelines on the Nomination Process
The public will be informed via official channels regarding the timeframes for nominating a national hero, and will be supplied with information on how to access a nomination form. As this designation is a rare honour, it is anticipated that nominations will not be solicited from the public on a regular basis. However, the Department of Culture will recognise the heroes annually through public education on their contributions, lectures, and various forms of tribute.
To retain the distinct and extraordinary character of this award, the nomination process for new national heroes will now open to the public once every ten years, with the next cycle beginning late in 2024 for a possible announcement in 2025.